Environmental Policies at The View
From the beginning the View Hotel at Monument Valley was designed to blend with the natural environment to enhance a visitor’s experience at Monument Valley rather than detract from it. The single most important environmental stance we can take is to respect Mother Earth through the building process. After construction, The View has employed unique yet common sense approaches to conserve, reuse, and recycle.
Our guests have access to recycling with designated bins throughout the property and in guestrooms.
Guests can use linens and towels for more than a day reducing the water and energy consumption involved in washing sheets daily. Further our linens are 100% cotton eliminating synthetics which use petrochemicals.
All guestroom appliances and the hotel front desk are Energy Star rated.
Our staff incorporate Green practices in the operation of The View. The housekeeping staff utilize low water computer controlled washers, green laundry detergent, and biodegradable cleaning materials. Landscaping surrounding the hotel is Xeriscape using low water consumption native plantings. Exterior lighting is provided by
low wattage fixtures that conform to the Clear Skies Initiative.
Like every guestroom in The VIEW, the restaurant has a spectacular panoramic view of Monument Valley and, like the hotel, it has high environmentally friendly standards. The menu includes eco-friendly food that has been grown without the application of pesticides or fertilizers. Our chef searches for locally grown foods whenever possible to support local economies as well as reduce CO2 emissions through reduced transportation. We are very excited about a program with the local Navajo high school to grow vegetables and herbs for seasonal harvest using composting and environmentally sensitive planting and harvesting.
Navajo Nation Tribal Council Member & Chairman of the Natural Resources Committee, George Arthur, says “The location for the hotel was selected because it is adjacent to the Park Visitors Center which has served tourists in the Tribal Park for over 50 years. Every effort has been taken to make the hotel blend into the landscape of the red rock mesa so the visitor to Monument Valley will enjoy the view from the hotel as well as the view of the hotel from the valley floor.”
The hotel is an environmentally friendly design with a low contour that conforms to the mesa overlooking the valley. FCI Constructors, Inc. of Durango, Colorado, a U.S. Green Council Certified Builder, has incorporated eco-friendly building practices using low-flow water devices, extra insulation, windows with energy efficient values, and fluorescent lighting. There are operable windows in public spaces including the soaring two story lobby that allows for natural air flow for energy efficient cooling. The west side of the building has an extra inch of rigid insulation and limited fenestrations (window and door openings) to reduce afternoon heat gain. All windows are double paned with low E values. Sliding glass doors on guestroom patios are protected from solar gain by roof overhangs, plumbing fixtures in all of the guest rooms are low-flow, and the hotel roof is reflective to reduce the amount of heat absorbed.
All of these actions follow The View’s Environmental Policy that says we will:
1) Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
2) Minimize the use of toxins and maximize earth friendly products
3) Conserve Energy and Water
4) Inspire others to do the same
Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
- We will strive to minimize waste by recycling all paper, bottles, cans.
- We will compose bio-degradable waste created through grounds maintenance
- We will compact disposed of waste minimizing transportation
Minimize toxins while maximizing environmentally friendly products
- We will dispose of or recycle toxic products safely
- We will choose less toxic or non-toxic janitorial products
- We will recycle toxic items like: lamps, batteries, electronics, etc.
- We will purchase paper products with 35%-100% recycled content
Conserve Energy and Water
- We will utilize Energy Star rated appliances, electronics and office equipment
- We will install water efficient toilets, showerheads and faucet aerators
- We will maximize passive solar heating and cooling
- We will implement rainwater collection
- We will install energy efficient lighting and utilize natural light whenever possible
- We will educate visitors to turn off lights and electronics when not in use
- We will educate our consumers about our programs to conserve the environment
- We will educate visitors on traditional Native American teachings on the environment
- We will challenge visitors to be conscious of their actions and its impact on the environment
- We will provide opportunity for visitors to offset the CO2 impacts created through their travels